Tuesday, June 14, 2011
A monk, a monkey, and a kitten.
Yesterday after what I believe was a typhoon (or at least that's what I heard someone at school say), I was riding my bicycle home when I came across the tiniest kitten I've ever seen. It was drenched from the storm and crying. My heart immediately sunk. Not sure what to do, I ran into 711 to get some milk. I tried feeding it to the kitten, but it didn't drink much before rolling over and appearing to be dead. Heartbroken, I continued on home. I thought about that kitten all night and at one point burst into tears. I hate seeing stray animals, absolutely hate it. I decided that if it was still there today, I would take it in my bicycle basket and find a vet. On my ride home, I cut through the grounds of a school run by monks. My attention was caught by a monkey drinking a juice box, and then further directed to a tiny kitten huddled beside him. Much to my surprise, it was THE kitten I found yesterday. I couldn't even believe it and I was so excited to see it was still alive. I got off my bike and approached the animals, but was soon stopped by the monkey freaking out. He scooped up the kitten and held it close to his body. Obviously he had taken the kitten under his "wing" and it was now his property. It was too adorable for words. A monk saw me watching the animals and came over to where I was and began talking to me in Thai. I have no idea what he was saying but we attempted to chat for awhile. It was mostly pointing and laughing....and he had no front teeth so that was entertaining. He explained that the monkey was very protective of the kitten and would bite me if I tried to take the kitten from him. Looking around the grounds, there appeared to be many more kittens and full grown cats. After spending an hour hanging out with the monk, the monkey, and the kitten, I decided they would do a much better job taking care of the kitty than I would and I left. I think I'll probably go back there again this week and hang out with them again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment