Monday, August 8, 2011

Bamboo Island, Pi Ley Bay, Maya Bay, Koh Phi Phi

The day had finally come for us to board a boat destined for paradise. I had been looking forward to this day the minute I arrived in Thailand. Every picture I've ever seen of Thailand has been desktop background worthy, and up until yesterday I had not seen anything that came close. However, that was all about to change.

On Thursday morning, a speed boat picked us up from Railay West beach at 9:30AM, and we were to spend the entire day going from island to island, stopping to snorkel and swim along the way. After about 30 minutes on the boat, we arrived at Bamboo Island. The water surrounding this island was the most beautiful blue, I don't even know how to describe it. Having been to the Exumas (a chain of mostly uninhabited islands in the Bahamas), I was skeptical of ever seeing water of that color again, but Bamboo Island won. We quickly jumped off the boat and into the water, snorkel gear already on. The three of us spent an hour in the water, seeing everything from turquoise fish, to bright purple anemones. We even saw an eel poke his head out behind some rocks. It was an awesome snorkeling experience!
 ready for some snorkelin.
 Liz with the snorkels.
 Bamboo Island beach!
 we found it!

 happy :)

After Bamboo Island, we headed for Pi Ley Bay. Now, you may think I am exaggerating when I say that Pi Ley Bay was the most beautiful place on earth, but just wait until you see the pictures. It is one of those places that you need someone to pinch you while you're there because it is so unbelievably amazing. Just.....OMG. It was unfortunate though, because our tour guide did not let us get off the boat and swim. Everyone on the boat was really bummed about this because we would later spend an hour on Maya Bay where there was so much trash on the beach we couldn't swim. We all would've much rather spent time swimming in Pi Ley Bay, but that's just how it goes I guess. Let your eyes be amazed:


 shoulda been on that boat...
 lucky people!

 Pi Ley Bay. Go there!

Following Pi Ley Bay, our boat arrived at Maya Bay. This is the infamous location of the Leonardo DiCaprio movie "The Beach". While it was another spectacular place to see, the beach was full of piles and piles of trash. It was really awful considering it is such an attractive tourist spot, and not to mention, a national park....They really need to get their act together and get that beach cleaned up! Here are some beautiful pictures anyway:

 Derek standing behind all the trash.
 couldn't swim so I took pictures of my feet! the black mark is a bruise from hiking with no shoes on :(
 didn't have to use that route today...thank God.

Maya Bay!

Our last stop of the day, and our final chance to swim and snorkel, was Koh Phi Phi. It was yet another awesome beach with beautiful water. I felt so lucky to have been able to experience such an awesome day. I wish all my family and friends could have been there to enjoy it with me :) Places that are that beautiful, you just want everyone you know to be there too because then you won't have to attempt to describe it to anyone.

 neat sign.


 our boat guide.

 best day!


Derek being brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment