I landed in Bangkok at 6:45AM, and headed straight for the taxi stand. My taxi driver was the rudest person ever, and I thought this place was known for friendly people! Didn't say two words to me...and there I was in the backseat with my little phrase book trying my hardest to talk to him and all he could do was stare at me in the rear view mirror. Ugh. But he did spend the 45 minute drive to my hotel touching his hair to make sure it didn't fall out of place, so that was entertaining at least. Finally we arrived at my hotel, Buddy Lodge, on Khaosan Road (the infamous backpackers street). Needless to say, it was PACKED with people and no room to breathe. Once I checked in, I decided to go check it out. The pictures speak for themselves :)
taxi driver. nice hair.
Khaosan Road.
tuk tuk :)
more Khaosan Road.
street vendor.
hairy strawberries.
fruit smoothie stand.
obviously bought some of these twinkling gems for my apartment :)
After scoping it out, I decided to try my bargaining skills for some bracelets. I didn't have much luck because as soon as I went lower than what he wanted, the vendor took the bracelet from my hand, put it back on the table, and went about his business. And yet, another rude Thai man! Then, I walked across the street to get a fruit smoothie because I was sweating my brains out and the smell of fried noodles and chicken was nauseating. I asked for a strawberry mango smoothie. When I handed the woman 40 baht, I was expecting 10 in change because the sign said 30 baht for fruit smoothie. She didn't give me any change so I politely said in my retarded english "you no give me change" (bahaha) and she literally barked at me: "YOU GET TWO FRUIT, EXTRA MONEY". I was actually scared of her, so I didn't say another word. Oh gee, another rude Thai person. Mama mia. Obviously it wasn't my day, so I headed back to my air conditioned room because the intense humidity was too much to bear, and I was exhausted. I managed to stay up until 8PM Thailand time my first night, but not a minute later. The time change was such a battle and I ended up waking up at 3AM starving. Luckily there was a 24 hour McDonalds downstairs, and the royal wedding was on tv so I was set.
The next day, my friend Becca arrived in Bangkok from her backpacking trip through Malaysia. It was a last minute decision for her to join me and I'm so glad because experiencing something like this is much better when shared with a friend. We braved Khaosan road at night, for the music festival and some interesting people!
Becca wanted those hats.
fried bugs. nasty.
Khaosan at night.
this kid had epic dance moves.
so i took a video of them....
so i took a video of them....
and naturally, I had to get my picture with him.
Bangkok was a crazy place to start off, and I am looking forward to moving south today to Jomtien. I need to see the ocean, I am starting to feel claustrophobic!

that guy was such a good dancer.
ReplyDeleteps. you're such a great writer. its so fun to read.