Monday, May 9, 2011
Rain?!
Yesterday Becca and I were going to sit on the beach, but decided to run some errands first. Dressed in our beach attire (bathing suit, flip flops, and sundress), we headed into town to buy some supplies for school. There is a supermarket downtown Pattaya called "Friendship" and on the second floor, you can find any kind of school supplies, art supplies, office supplies, etc. The school doesn't provide stuff like scissors, glue, tape, markers, paper....etc. so we had to purchase all of it on our own. I was kind of peeved because I don't have much money to last until my first paycheck on June 1st, but I needed supplies, especially for teaching a class of 2 year olds. Approximately 260 baht later ($12) I had everything I needed. It is difficult to shop here because we only have a motorbike to transport ourselves everywhere. When we went to the grocery store, I had to carry all our groceries on my thighs...as I held on for dear life. I trust Becca's driving skills...but the people here drive like maniacs. Anyhoo...we piled onto the bike and were headed back to our apartments when it started to downpour, out of nowhere. They were probably the biggest raindrops I've ever see and within MINUTES, we were soaked...like two wet dogs who had just jumped into a swimming pool. It was raining so hard I couldn't open my eyes, so good thing I wasn't driving. We ended up missing the street that would lead us back to where we live, and had to drive around looking for a way to get back....while it was still pouring. We were driving for so long that eventually there were no more motorbikes on the road because everyone knew better than to drive in that kind of rain. I stuffed my shopping bag under my dress and tried my best to hold on, eyes still shut. Eventually we found the highway....and made it safely home. But unfortunately Becca's phone fell out of her bag on our crazy drive home. After taking showers and putting dry clothes on....we ventured back out to look for the phone. No luck, and we got stuck in another rainstorm. I have a feeling this is going to happen more frequently as we head into rainy season....so I plan to keep my rain jacket with me wherever I go.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment